Monday, May 28, 2007

O CANADA - ON TOP OF THE WORLD - PART 1

MARY & I - REVELING IN BLOSSOMS!




HISTORIC NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE


In mid May my hubby drove me to Toronto to receive the IRA Children's Book Award. And do research. And sight see. And make good friends.

As we drove northward and upward - and more and more upward - through the mountains of Pennsylvania, I had the increasing sensation that I was going to the top of the world. I can’t say for sure when we arrived at OTOTW but we hung around there for a few wonderful days! I’ll do my best to share just a bit through separate posts

We stayed with two dear people who I can now say are truly my friends (and not mostly my sister’s friends).

Ernie and Mary live in historic Niagara-on-the-Lake and everything about them, their home, and their town was lovely and gracious. This wonderful couple has a lot of history stored away in their beautiful heads and they're able to pull it out at a second's notice to illustrate a point as needed. Mary gave us a walking tour of Niagara-on-the-Lake and shared many fascinating details about various gorgeous old homes, inns, and churches. The town is home to Shaw Festival Theater which provides an ongoing performance schedule in 3 separate venues. Unfortunately we did not see one - poor trip planning indeed!

The air in Niagara-on-the-Lake was as clear and sweet as Hawaii itself. Lilacs were profuse - as were tulips and countless other blossoms. As we prepared to leave, Ernie harvested huge clusters of purple lilacs for us – how wonderful to come home with a luscious bouquet for my mother!

One of the unexpected benefits of this trip was the joy of experiencing spring all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment