Wednesday, October 24, 2007

EXPERT EXTRAORDINAIRE!


Georgia Hall at Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation


My editor is teaching me many things about writing historical fiction. One of the most valuable things I’m learning is to solicit help from experts who can add authenticity to my story. So I’m always seeking out people who know more than I do about various subjects in my books.

Last week I found the crème de la crème of experts regarding Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute For Rehabilitation. His name is Leon Trotter.

Mr. Trotter had polio back in the 1930’s and for well over ten years he made numerous extended visits for corrective surgeries to The Georgia Warm Springs Foundation (as it was called then). Not only does he have a storehouse of memories, an album of photographs, and stories about real people who lived and worked there -but also, he is a stickler for the facts!

This is good for me!

Right now, he’s reading the manuscript for my BLUE sequel and already he’s pointing out on which pages I have things that are problematic or something that is just a little “off” for the time period.

I love Mr. Trotter's enthusiasm. When I called him on the phone to ask for his expertise, he was warm and helpful right away. But I was quickly surprised at what a resource he would become. We’ve swapped numerous emails in a short amount of time. Many of his are loaded with attachments – photographs from the 40’s, his written memories, and anecdotes about specific individuals that could possibly enrich my story.

My emails contain questions and many, many THANK YOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment