Sunday, August 24, 2008

IT'S NO SECRET!




Big thrill here! Alamance County, NC has chosen Blue for it's community read.

I got wind of this possibility in February but had my doubts because community-wide reading programs typically involve books written for adults.

Then, in April, I heard Blue had been chosen! But they also told me to keep it a secret until the official announcement in August.

You mean I can't tell anybody? For six months? I am not allowed to blog about this?

Well, okay then. Mums the word!

I pushed this golden nugget into the far recesses of my consciousness and only brought it out on occasion to admire. In the meantime I've worked on revisions to Blue's sequel.

In July, Margaret Blanchard, ALAMANCE READS Co-Chair treated me to lunch and filled me in on the planned activities. WOW - Movies, contests, exhibits, and a blackberry cobbler & ice cream party! All that and more for the whole family. I'm so psyched!

Well, I got so used to keeping this on the backburner, that even though I knew the announcement was forthcoming, I completely forgot to watch for it. Then last night a friend emailed me a link to this news story.

So now I can blabbler on about this all I want to. Listen up! More to come...

9 comments:

  1. Congrats Joyce - this is exciting BLUE news!

    I must say how impressed I am that it was so close to Rash's "Saints At The River." I studied his book of poetry Eureka Mill recently in school and attended his author visit. I was especially fond of his poem "My Grandfather Swallows His Pride."

    So again, conrats to you and your baby BLUE. Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like I need to read Saints At the River. You'll have to share that poem with me sometime.

    Does it remind you of your pappy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, you are fast overtaking Ruthie as my favorite blog read ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does remind me of Pap in some ways. Here's a link to the blog that was part of my Ron Rash assignment.

    http://www.blacknbitter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! Congratulations! I don't know how you kept it a secret so long. I think I would Bust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowzie!!! that is wonderful news. Must have been awfully hard to keep a lid on that for such a long time. What a honor to have your book chosen for an entire community to read. I know they will love it. YOU GO GIRL!!!! And a blackberry cobbler/ice-cream party. How neat is that? Brings back many childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzie!!! that is wonderful news. Must have been awfully hard to keep a lid on that for such a long time. What a honor to have your book chosen for an entire community to read. I know they will love it. YOU GO GIRL!!!! And a blackberry cobbler/ice-cream party. How neat is that? Brings back many childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie,

    Thanks so much. I am thrilled. And the blackberry party is such a great idea!

    We do love our blackberries, don't we?

    Your sis,

    ReplyDelete