Saturday, February 13, 2010

BOOK TRAILER: Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice

On Monday Augusta Scattergood will be my guest here, sharing her review of the National Book Award and Newbery Honor winning,Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice (by Phillip Hoose).

Meanwhile you can meet both Phillip Hoose and Claudette Colvin herself in this engaging video.


And since (unless you live in Hawaii) there is snow in your state, you may as well enjoy another video while you are at it. This is Phillip Hoose accepting the National Book Award with Claudette Colvin at his side. I really love that this was not one of those fluttery OMG acceptances. I love the quiet dignity of their walk to the lectern. I love that this man sought out history and shared a little known history maker with us. I think I have a new literary hero. Not because of the award but because of the respect that oozes from Phillip Hoose's pores.

Phillip Hoose and Claudette Colvin, 2009 National Book Awards Dinner from National Book Foundation on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment