Wednesday, November 10, 2010

HISTORY MYSTERY

On a recent weekend with my hubby's family in Pennsylvania, we hiked to these ruins of an old homestead.

So intriguing to the history lover in me. You know there's a story here.

An author could make up whatever story she wants about who lived in this place.

 
What their daily lives were like.


What utensils they used or who used them


Who built these steps and what was stored in the cellar.



and the hardships of going to the spring for water.


But she'd still have to research the surrounding area and the people who settled it.


If  I were writing a story about this area (and I'm not) I'd  probably start with the local history museum.


The following description comes from the historical society's website. 


In 1762 settlers from New England came to the Wyoming Valley, but were driven out by the Indians. It was not until after the Sullivan expedition in 1779 that families were able to establish a permanent settlement in the Tunkhannock area....

The name "Wyoming" is derived from an Indian word meaning "extensive meadows." With its glistening streams, gently rolling hills and tranquil valleys, Wyoming County is undoubtedly one of Pennsylvania's most scenic counties.


History is everywhere!  Even in your backyard. What ruins do you see near where you live?  What do you imagine happened there?  If you're a student with a writing assignment a local ruins could be a perfect starting point.  If you're a teacher you could explore history and writing with your students through such a place as this.

And if you're part of a family, you might want to go for a hike!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you have just completed your newest historical fiction and have it ready to submit to a publisher. I wish you many good things. Congratulations and you go, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Elysabeth! I sent it to my editor on Monday. Don't have a contract on it yet so my fingers are crossed!

    ReplyDelete