Thursday, February 24, 2011

CELEBRATING AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY: Alvin Ailey and the connection between story and dance

February is nearly over and I've done nothing to acknowledge African-American History Month. I've hardly blogged at all, actually, but still - what kind of excuse is that?

This morning, my friend, Carol Baldwin unwittingly inspired me.  She'd driven to Chapel Hill last night to see Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater live performance, Revelations.  On her way home today, she called with all sorts of superlatives about the performance -  "incredibly strong, controlled, liquid, amazing use of space".  And more!

So naturally I scurried around to the video sites to get a feel for what I'd missed. Please watch this at full screen! It's not the same as a live performance but it will take you way beyond this tiny box of images. 

Celebrating Revelations at 50 Film from AlvinAileyAmericanDanceTheater on Vimeo.

Since FIX ME JESUS is one of my favorite spirituals, I can't help but share it here.



Want to know more?  View a timeline of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater History.

2 comments:

  1. nice way to condense my many ramblings! Let's figure out how you can be a guest blog on my blog now!

    ReplyDelete