Saturday, February 17, 2007

A FEW CLASSICS THAT ESCAPED ME!

There are certain children's books I've never read. A whole lot - to be exact. I read voraciously when I was a child so I'm not sure how I missed some of them. Maybe they just weren't in our school library. Or my church library. Or on the Bookmobile. Ahh but I loved that Bookmobile!

Anyway, I think I have read one, count them, one Nancy Drew book in my entire life. I read it as an adult and I could not tell you now what it was. I also did not read Anne of Green Gables. Discovered her as an adult also.

And then there is Alice - dear Alice in Wonderland. Maybe I did read her. I'm not sure. I know I tried. It was one of the books in my mother's lovely bookcase with the glass doors. I think I read just about everything in there. (not sure about Bobbed Hair, Bossy Wives, and Women Preachers although I'm pretty sure I read parts of it)

As for Alice - I don't know. I guess I was never meant for fantasy. To this day I have read only one Harry Potter book. None of the Redwall Series. no Narnia, and no Hobbits. I just can't do it. I tried reading Alice and something about it really put me off. It's a vague memory now but it all seemed kind of dark and foreboding to me.

Today I was at my Mom's house and opened that lovely bookcase in search of Alice. There she was just as I remembered - blue cover, pen and ink drawings, a few water stains on the outside. Or were they my tears?

I brought it home with me. Maybe I'll try again...

1 comment: