Sunday, February 25, 2007

RECENT SCHOOL VISITS

In January I spent two days at Lyle Creek Elementary School. Carol Lundeen and her assistant Jenny Gerami-Markham were fabulous hostesses. And it was great to see and have lunch with Principal Leslie Barnett who I went to Lenoir Rhyne College with back in the 70’s!

Everyone at Lyle Creek was so fabulous. I spoke to 3rd – 6th graders in multiple sessions. I loved that most of the teachers had already read all of BLUE to their classes. That always enhances the visit. As a result the children asked really insightful questions!

Oh, and I thought it was so cool that the school bought 4 copies of BLUE and conducted a giveaway for four lucky students! I think their method was to have students submit questions to ask me during my visit. They then drew 4 of those questions/names out of a “hat”.

Naturally I love this line from a Thank-you card sent by Alexis, one of the students. “Blue is so good. I could never put such a good book down.” Mostly I love that she was self-motivated to write to me! Thanks Alexis!

The Lyle Creek Visit made the Catawba County Schools webpage!

A few weeks after the Lyle Creek visit, I also spent a day at Catawba Intermediate with Cheri Hudson, and 6th graders there. Again, Cheri was so fabulous – getting kids familiar with Blue first, providing all the necessary equipment, handling book sales, and watching out for all my needs! (And I love that teacher who brought me a bottle of water when my throat needed it most!) Also enjoyed chatting with Nathan Crabtree, the music teacher who once upon a time reviewed BLUE at Amazon.
Thanks to all. I am so looking forward to future school visits!

No comments:

Post a Comment