Wednesday, February 27, 2008

RALEIGH ROCKS! (Part 2)

After my evening with Raleigh-Wake Reading Council, I spent a day at Fuquay-Varina Middle School.

Just to be really honest, 8th graders scare me a little. Mostly because I think they’ll perceive me as a middle aged fuddy-duddy. (Now, where would they get such an idea?!) Truthfully, I have no idea what makes them laugh. But most were right there with me during my presentation and afterwards they threw a ton of great questions at me. (Sometimes I think I should toss my PowerPoint, simply read from my books and have Q&A.)

Mary Jo Floyd and me. (Thanks Mary Jo for arranging the whole Raleigh experience!)

A big thanks to Rodney Jenkins who worked with Mary Jo on financing my visit. And especially to the Fuquay-Varina Rotary Club who laid out a chunk of change!

By the way, Rotary International (along with World Health Organization and a few other groups) is in the process of knocking polio off the face of the earth! They are almost there! Yipee!

And one last photo – this one with Rodney. What a gentleman! I loved talking with him about writing.

1 comment:

  1. Guess I'll have to go along next time to tell those 8th graders how hip you are!

    ReplyDelete