Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TUESDAY 2: Two Amazing Moments

Ann Hobgood's amazing bottle tree!

I had more than a few amazing moments last week while traveling about Alamance County. But I'll just share two of them here.

1. On Thursday evening, I enjoyed a lovely dinner with several of the Friends of the Library and Alamance Reads committee. The host, Stig Egede-Nissen invited the group around the table to join hands and he offered a beautiful prayer of thankfulness. I felt very much like I was with family.

Stig is Norwegian so he didn't stop with the grace. He went on to pronounce a Norwegian blessing on me. I have no idea what he said. Looking back on it, I think I should have been curious enough to ask. But at the time, I simply soaked in the moment. Hearing it in Norwegian was so beautiful - it was all I needed.

2. On Friday morning, at Turrentine Middle School a 6th grade teacher came to the media center with a student who'd written a research paper on polio. I'm not sure if the 6th graders read my book as a group but they were not in the assembly that came to hear me speak. The teacher wanted me to know that Dylan chose this topic because Blue had piqued his interest. I couldn't take the time to read and really appreciate it then so Dylan made a copy for me and now I have my very own.

Dylan - I read it! Your research is great! The paper is really good. I hope you keep on researching and writing! And if I can help, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely! Two beautiful moments! And I love that bottle tree...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat piece of meaningful art!
    The bottle tree is quite capturing.

    ReplyDelete