Monday, April 27, 2009

IT'S ALL ABOUT CONFLICT!

Yesterday, I mentioned that I'm critiquing a friend's manuscript which, in turn, is helping me improve my own.

One thing, in particular, that I'm working work on, is the matter of chapter endings.

My natural tendency is to close a chapter after a particular conflict has been resolved. But, if the chapter ends on a satisfactory or reflective note, then you, the reader are likely to insert bookmark, turn out the light, and go to sleep!

Sleep? Not now. Now while reading my book! Please....

So, with my newest novel, I'm going to go against my grain. I'll end chapters right in the middle of the action. You will not be able to shut that book and if someone else turns out the light, an argument will ensue!

Hear me now?

It's all about conflict!

1 comment:

  1. I like the attitude! Be like American Idol, keep us glued for what comes after the commercial break. ha!

    ReplyDelete