Monday, June 8, 2009

D-DAY DELAYED POST

Larry Mosteller is my antique car expert. He's restoring this one. Chuck and I loved hanging out with him and Kay and their classic car club.

I was thinking, on Saturday, that I should be writing a D-Day Post but I was busy gallivanting around in a 1934 Chrysler instead. And visiting the Miracle of Hickory Exhibit and eating BBQ! (The way it ought to be eaten!)

So now, two days, later I shall play "catch up with the times".

We've heard the D-Day story so often. I saw a great piece on World News Tonight about young folks going with WWII vets back to Normandy to hear their stories and provide emotional and physical support. (Fabulous!)

But rarely do we get to glimpse the D-Day invasion from the eyes of a young French girl. Recently however, I've had the extraordinary privilege of reading a middle grade manuscript by a local writer who is telling such a story.

Such a story, indeed. This is the sort of story that practically tells itself.

Unfortunately it's never that easy! The writer has to actually compose, revise, revise, and revise. And what about some more revisions?

But really, all the elements of plot are built into this historical event. Not just the elements - but the symbolism, the human drama, the tender touching relationships between American soldiers and French peasants.

This is the sort of story that makes me wish I had discovered it. Except that it required multiple trips to France and researching through an interpreter.

I could do that, of course. But would I?

I love that Eric Groce did. And I'm thrilled he included me in the reading and critiquing process. I'll be doing the happy dance when I see it in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment