Friday, May 17, 2013

PHENOMENAL BOOKS FOR FREE

Carol Baldwin and I just published our latest issue of TALKING STORY.  The theme is IMMIGRATION so we're giving away a few books on the topic.

HOPE AND TEARS:  Ellis Island Voices - More than twenty five characters share, through touching free verse, their history with  Ellis Island.  This book written by Gwenyth Swain was published by Calkins Creek books.  Like everything Editor, Carolyn Yoder produces, it is permeated with history and sheer beauty.


THE AMAZING HARRY KELLAR:  Great American Magician also published by Calkins Creek Books and edited by Carolyn Yoder, is stellar in every way. Author Gail Jarrow gives us a behind-the-scenes look at the work of a spectacular illusionist and performer. Chocked full of photos, advertising posters, and pictures of actual illusions, this book entertains and informs. 


A Step from Heaven is a haunting Korean Immigrant story which won the Printz Award in 2002 and was a National Book Award finalist in 2001. The copy we're giving away is a gently used paperback which includes an interview with Author, An Na.
Carol and I offer much more on the topic of immigration in literature in our newsletter.  You'll be happy that you clicked over there to enter the contest. (See giveaway notification and email link in the sidebar.) Deadline is May 21.

Good luck!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and Carol.

    These books look wonderful. I have read An Na's, and free verse about Ellis Island experiences sounds great. But please do NOT enter me in your giveaway. I win SO much stuff that it gets embarrassing. I want somebody else to have them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I win SO much stuf that it gets embarrassing."

    Marcia, you are sweet and obviously you're a loyal blog reader! Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce,

    You and Carol provide so much quality information and great giveaways. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for cross-posting. Good idea, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that funny...I just posted as you! I had forgotten to sign out of gmail. Laugh is on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the lesson plans on the Talking Story site, and I will pass the link along. My granddaughter is doing an immigrations unit in her 2nd grade classroom right now and I am in the middle of sewing a small dirndl for her to wear on Monday. Best get back to that sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, Carol. I have no idea how you could log in as me. But funny, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rosi- Thank yo for sharing the link.

    That's cool about your granddaughter's class. Good on you for sewing the dress for her. I'd love to see a photo when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete