Tuesday, August 19, 2008

WEB DESIGN IS NOT FOR DUMMIES!


A published author needs a website, not?

So I bought FrontPage 2003 and FrontPage 2003 for Dummies and set about to establish a web presence. All this back in late 2006 and early 2007. Just in time for any interested Newbery committee members who might google my name! (Fantasies are all the rage, so why can't I have mine?)

Anyway, I got the site up and I've managed to update it a few times (always with fear that something would not show up correctly afterwards). Turns out I should have been afraid - very afraid because apparently users of browsers other than Internet Explorer do not necessarily see what I see.

I learned this some time ago - that on some browsers my pics are grainy and many of the hyperlinks do not work! Yikes! They really do work in Internet Explorer! I really did think I uploaded a decent webpage.

I have no idea how to solve this problem.

I mean really, I am just barely keeping up with book writing and life itself. Now I've got to be good at webpage design too?!

See, the problem is I think I have to. I come from a family of do-it-yourselfers. And I like the idea of doing my own web design. I did, anyway -until I finally admitted that it makes sense to spend my time doing what I do best and leave certain tasks to the experts.

Experts like Betsy Moyer of Adapt on Demand. Yes, Betsy is my niece. Brilliant of course! And so easy to share ideas with. We just spent the evening together exploring possibilities. Looks like we may toss the old FrontPage out the window! And take on a new look - play with some cool images that relate to my books.

I just love when someone is sitting beside me expressing delight over working on a project for me. I understand the thrill of creativity. So if I can help Betsy have a good time, that will take a lot of the guilt out of not doing it for myself.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you and Betsy worked so well together - hope your new website is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy, I can tell you it will be awesome! I am so excited about getting some nature into it - also some of my favorite images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognized that lovely young lady assisting you. Nice to know she is close by and able to use her skills and talents to make your life easier and free of that guilt.

    ReplyDelete