Wednesday, April 22, 2009

EARTH DAY: A Call for Poetry

It's Earth Day AND National Poetry Month! So I am combining the two of them in this post with several favorite passages about the earth.


1. First this one, which my sister brought home from 1st grade and I have never forgotten.
When earth has turned in early spring,
The birds are fat as anything.
The birds come flying all around
to eat the worms right off the ground.

Once when I was very young,
I put a worm right on my tongue.
I didn't like the taste of it,
So I didn't swallow it.
But oh it makes my mother squirm
Because she thinks I ate that worm.
2. By ee cummings
i thank You God for most this amazing day:
for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;
and for everything which is natural
which is infinite
which is yes
3. From the book of Genesis
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters
.

2 comments:

  1. These are lovely, Joyce. I especially like ee cummings' piece. And the verse from Genesis just takes me back to my teaching at the Waldorf school. I taught the kids the "first day" in hebrew as part of our curriculum. It was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. The wisteria was so lovely on our trip to NC/SC this past weekend. I have never been so aware of it before. Must be burnt into my senses from the reading of BLUE. So happy COMFORT is here. Enjoying it! I asked Steve if he wanted me to read it to him on the trip.....but he said he wanted to read it for himself. I did sneak in a reading of the prologue tho. Your way with words is so amazing to me still.

    ReplyDelete